We've moved. Please click here to view our new blog.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Burn Baby, Burn!

Children are interested in almost everything that you wont let them have.  I'm sure that this activity will not be for everyone, and that's ok.  In our home we feel better about allowing our son to explore and learn to use things safely as opposed to hiding things away and locking things up.  I knew my son would love this because he loves helping us build a fire in our fire pit, and he loves "tools".  There are actually several things about this activity that stimulate the senses and lead to a lot of dialogue - the warmth of the handle, the crackle of the wood burning, the smell of the smoke, etc. 

This is just another art medium - another way of allowing him to be creative.  :)


The Invitation - wood pieces and a wood burning tool.

drawing

Trying it out on the other wood, which didn't burn as well.

"Whoa, you hear that noise.  It sounds like t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t."

He told me he drew a goblin. 


"Look, Im making dots."    

- AK

9 comments:

  1. Cool! :) We'll probably do this with our kiddo, already got a bunch of soldering guns floating around the house. This would be a great Daddy son activity. Glue guns are cool too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool idea. We tossed something like it around awhile back but to see it in action and going so well was nice. Thank you for sharing. Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I often get the "evil eye" from other moms because I let my toddler play with very small toys and materials that she LOVES but they consider them to be choking hazards. With proper teaching and ACTIVE involvement and supervision anything is possible. Plus the experiences are irreplaceable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you let him do this! Your blog just got a million points cooler in my book! My toddler lies fire too, so we taught her about fire and how to be safe with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! We were not allowed to use this sort of tool until 13+ but it was so fun. I am glad they have improved the machines enough that it is safe for toddlers to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great! agree with other poster...I get looks and comments a lot for letting my toddler do so many things...teach them the right way to explore or use a tool because they are eventually going to get their hands on it if they want to...it isn't that I am a careless mom letting her do what she wants...if I see her little wheels turning or confidence growing I can't help but step back and see what she can do. Makes me a proud mommy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool idea, now I really want one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...