We've moved. Please click here to view our new blog.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Edible Paint

This is a "paint" I used in the classroom a lot when I was a teacher, particularly during Easter - because it dries shiny and with just one drop of food coloring, the colors are very pastel-like. Its edible (Holy SUGAR! - but I don't stress because my son doesn't eat a lot of sugar in general).  For those who are concerned about food coloring - Im guessing you can use natural dyes...

Food Based Dyes

I realized while doing this, that it would be great to use this for TALL PAINTING (putting the edible paint in squirt bottles)....

Tall Paintings


- AK



Clear plastic cups (Walmart), 1-2 cans of condensed milk (we only used 1), food coloring, shelving paper (optional - you can just use paper if you want).  Shelving paper is a great alternative to fingerpainting paper because it can be washed off and reused if you are just using it for sensory play.


Add food coloring.


Stir (he is stirring with a wooden skewer.  I cut some long ones in half because I use them to make him fruit kabobs and such - I saved the cut off part for activities like this.)



He liked the way it drizzled off the sticks - so he did some drizzle painting.  He said "it looks like lots and lots of snakes, Mommy".



Drizzle


He moved on to the paint brush - eh - not as fun


Its time to pour!


"That tastes like cake, Mommy.  Would you like to try some of my cake?"



Pretty cool when poured


He used the stick to run the colors together.



:)Food Based Dyes

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Did you know you can make your own sweetened condensed milk with water, sugar, butter, and dried milk powder (instant milk)?!? I think that making your own might be even cheaper than a can of it (which isn't very expensive, mind you). Here's one of the many recipes I found out there (thank you, Google): http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,193,144167-242193,00.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! The photos alone just stopped my three-year-old in his tracks. Awesome! Can't wait to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever tried using the Wilton Icing Colors? I've heard they make amazingly bright colors. We buy them sometimes for our teachers when they make play dough for the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really good idea for edible paint! I tried this awhile back with my at the time (10 mnth old) the only problem was that once he found out how sweet it was, he was no longer interested in painting, he just wanted to lick his fingers the whole time! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...