We've moved. Please click here to view our new blog.

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Garbage Trek



A few weeks ago he wanted to be a fireman.  
These days, he proclaims:

"Mommy, I don't want to be something when I grow up. I just wanna have fun. I just wanna pick up trash off of the sidewalk. Then I will come home just to eat, and then go back and pick up more trash. Yep, that's what I'm gonna do!"

And then:



"I'm going to make my own food, though.  How am I going to know how to do that when I'm bigger?"

I was relieved to know that when he grows up I wont be cooking all the meals anymore.  LOL ;)



When it comes to our children, its not about pushing them to "be something" when they grow up, its about supporting who they are in any given moment.  Loving them is about giving them the feeling that they can be whatever they want to be by following and nurturing their interests.  This is how we foster a love of learning.  This is how we send those wonderful underlying messages to our children - you are capable, I trust you, etc. 


"That's a lot of trash I got!"


He even collects trash in stores - like Barnes and Noble.


 In an effort to support him and his love of picking up trash, we bought him a trash stick for Easter. 

Click HERE for a video. 



Using his trash stick to pick up trash.

Its been weeks since his interest in trash blossomed, and its been quite the adventure.  We got up early to watch the garbage truck do its pick up, we visited a local dump site, and we have extensive Q&As about trash and the environment.  Fostering a love of learning!

- AK (MESE, MECD)

1 comment:

  1. I love your overall approach. It's so easy to get caught up in the "grownup" logical side of things. You serve as a good reminder that they see things differently & to understand their viewpoints as they grow. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...