We've moved. Please click here to view our new blog.

Friday, July 27, 2012

Edible Art Frames

The other day my oldest was "cleaning out the car".  She found a candy cane and got all excited.  Yes - we still had a candy cane in the console from Christmas.   LOL  (AK... slow down your breathing).  Every year at Christmas we make Candy Cane Bark.  She asked me if we could make it.  Of course the answer was yes... we just went a different route.  :-)  



The Invitation.

Cookie Sheet
Wax Paper
Various candies and sprinkles.
Pretzels put together to make a frame.
White Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips

You can use whatever chocolate you want.  I know Baker's makes baking chips.  I just LOVE Ghirardelli chocolate.  

You also don't have to use candy.  You can pretty much put in whatever you want.  Some other suggestions:

Crushed nuts
Dried fruit
Pretzels
Sprinkles
Marshmallows
Crumbled cookies
Graham Crackers
Raisins
Coconut
Popcorn


AK and her son stopped by.  :-)  


Whoa!!!  LOL  


As you can clearly see my 29M old and AK's son could care less about the art part of this. 


Look it's a flag


A couple of the girls friends stopped over so I set this up for all of them.  I originally bought 2 bags of chips... one for each of my older girls.  This one was just half a bag.  It was a little too thin so it cracked.  


My oldest way playing with her friend on the first round of these and came down to the invitation after they left.  We did this with one whole bag of chips.  

To melt the chips just pour the bag into a microwave safe dish and microwave.  Ours took around 3 minutes... stopping to stir after each minute.  

After melting, spread it out on the wax paper in the shape of a square.  Add your pretzels around the outside to make a frame.  


Decorating her frame.  (3.5 years)

My oldest had no desire to eat the candy during this process.  She was more interested in the art... totally true to form for her.  



She loved this.  :-)  




Finished!  Ours took about 20 minutes to cool and set.  

I used a spatula to pick it up off the cookie sheet and then peeled off the wax paper.

It was sturdy enough to handle!  


Proud girl/  


"Can I eat some?"


Enjoying some of her masterpiece.  

You could do this on a smaller scale as well. 

It would be cute with smaller pretzel rods, pop in a ziploc, and give away as gifts.  :-) 

RL 

4 comments:

  1. Super awesome idea! My kids will love doing this! Do you think it would also work with that candy quik stuff used to make chocolate covered pretzels? Or do you think it would dry too fast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like SO much fun! :) Thanks for sharing! I want to try it on the smaller scale for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a neat idea! My daughter loved making a gingerbread house at Christmas so I am sure she would love this as well, plus she is a little artist. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't heat the chocolate 3 minutes! but fun project!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...