We've moved. Please click here to view our new blog.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Colored Sand Creations

 
About a month ago I posted a picture from my cell phone of my son using LIQUID WATERCOLORS to color his sand castles, but I never blogged about it.  I set it up as an invitation for him today (Im still lacking in cool sand molds, but he doesn't care) so here it is. 


The Invitation

He asked for help building the molds.  So I have no pics of that part, but here is is spraying his creations.  He said the orange one is a building.

Spraying his "castle"

The blue part is his "waterfall"

The large orange one is a volcano.  He later poked a hole in the top. 





At the end of this activity I realized I was quite happy about not having fancy sand molds - as they may have limited his creativity.  I loved watching his "city with a waterfall and a volcano" emerge from his own imagination.  


- AK (MESE, MECD)

13 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful city. This is one of those activities that makes me say, "why didn't I think of that." Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you at True Aim Education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! I can't wait to try it! -PlayDrMom

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea! I teach 3-5 year olds, if I did this in out school sand box will the water colors easily wash out when we water down the sand at the end of the day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not sure, but its probably worth testing out on a small sample of sand. :)

      Delete
  4. Me encantan sus actividades los felicito , me gustaría mucho poder hacer las mesas de luz que tienen para trabajar, los saludo desde Chile
    Mucho saludos
    Myrian Salinas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so fun! Thanks for sharing!! Curious do the watercolors rub off on the kids skin? Would food coloring work- or less washable??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food coloring is less washable, but the kids wont be colorful forever. Liquid watercolors washed off easier.

      Delete
  6. I've never used liquid watercolors before. Did you just pour some in the spray bottles and go? Or did you water them down a bit?

    Can't wait to try this with my kids this summer!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I just poured some in each bottle. Some people do water them down, but I never have. AK

      Delete
    2. Okay great! Thanks!! Can't wait to try this! :-)

      Delete
  7. Great idea. We're taking this one to the beach!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...