We've moved. Please click here to view our new blog.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Exploring colors/mixtures




My daughter is obsessed with color/mixing/solutions etc. lately.  I gave her a "chemist area" outside that she can explore.   Glue, liquid starch, sand, salt, vinegar, alcohol, oil, dish soap, corn starch, and liquid watercolors


Here are some of her latest concoctions...




Something simple and easy with stuff you already have hand around the house.  The old baking soda and vinegar trick.  

Baking soda, liquid watercolors, vinegar.




These next few I found on Steve Spangler's Science Page.  http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/  

Lava Lamps 


For our complete post on Lava Lamps click on this link...



Since my daughter enjoyed the lava lamps so much we created our own version... 

Lava lamp in a box

For our blog post on Lava Lamps in a box click on the link below...





Milk, food coloring, dish soap experiment  http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000066


Milk, food coloring, dish soap
We tried a few different versions to answer some of my daughter's questions...



"Let's see what would happen (her new favorite line) if we use water"  It still worked but I noticed the higher the fat content the better the result.  Whole milk worked best.  



I suggested that we sprinkle some glitter to see if the soap would move the glitter as well.  It did.  


This last one we also found on Steve's page...we modified it a bit.  http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000032


Sharpie tie dye... I pinned down a onesie on foam board, my daughter colored it and then used a spray bottle to spray on alcohol.  



12 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the mixing bottles! That's not only creative, but allows the child a chance to mix and create on their own - great for encouraging problem-solving skills.

    Looks like your daughter's well on her way with her "I wonder what would happen if.." That's great for a child her age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for these ideas! I am a Montessori preschool assistant teacher (hopefully I'll be head teacher soon) and I am going to figure out and talk to my head teacher and see how and where we can set something like these projects out. My kids will live to try all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. new fan here! love your blog. pinned this idea on pinterest too! thanks for sharing! ciao ~b

    www.thehappylittletomato.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a fun day. We love following your blog and are excited that you expand upon Steve's original ideas. Pinning these pictures now. You have one amazing little scientist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! Lucky little girl, to have a mom who is not worried about "too much mess" (the more mess, the more fun, I say!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really great ideas! And it looks like you gugys had fun. I think I'm going to have to try the baking soda and vinegar one with Little A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. None of the pictures are showing up for me. Any suggestions? I love the explanations and would LOVE to get a better idea how to make this happen for my daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. None of the pics are showing up. My guess is that over the last few months, her photo folder got moved and isn't being linked up...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't see any pictures either :-(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...