We've moved. Please click here to view our new blog.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A CAVE OF STARS

There are soooooo many things to do with an empty box, the options are almost endless.  We happened to have a huge one and it went from a house, to a cave, to a cave of stars.  Its a simple concept, really - but oh so fun!!!

All you need is a box, a paint brush, a knife, and a strand of Christmas lights.  I used the knife to initially cut out windows (per my son's request)....but somewhere along the path of bats and spiders and the dark,  he decided it was a cave and it needed stars.  I took a paint brush (the size of the ones you get with watercolors - you could also use a screwdriver), and poked holes in the top of the box.  Then I pushed the Christmas lights through, and we had STARS!!  We gazed up at the stars together, talking about their colors and about real stars - and even read books in our "cave of stars".  It was a wonderful adventure!!  

- AK


Cave of stars

Daddy likes it, too



- AK (MESE, MECD)


20 comments:

  1. This is brilliant. Makes me want to find a big box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I saw this pinned on pinterest and I will have to try it with my kiddos! I am now following your blog and I am excited to find more play ideas for my little ones!!

    Tiffani
    thoughtsfromtiffani.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great rainy day/indoor play! Had fun putting it together with my older one and watching them both enjoy! Thanks for the ideas!!
    PS: Hope you can see the photos. Not sure about the sharing from FB...
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2095540319903.114229.1587206706&l=c189803d30&type=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. love love love this idea. Have reblogged it over at my speech pathology blog with some additional ideas for developing language while you play. thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it, a good idea for the boxes that the big gifts come it, get a few more uses from them before heading it to the recyable bin

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are expecting a big box in the mail soon...now I know just what to do with it!

    I'd love for you to link up and share if you have a moment: http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-link-party-week-sixteen.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tutus - We are really not blog-savy....and I have no idea what "link-up" means or how to do it. ???? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lov it! Did you use LED lights or regular christmas lights? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. This inspired me with some boxes we had saved at home for such an occasion. I'm blogging about it and likely posting to today, you can see my blog at www.monkersandrutabagas.blogspot.com
    Thanks for posting such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just made one of these. They are really neat. My kids haven't got home yet, so they are going to be really surprised. My only worry is the lights getting really hot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What did you use to make the stars?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used a small paint brush to poke the holes and stuck Christmas light through them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wonderful idea!! i'm gonna keep an eye out for big boxes this week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it I could do this for VBS this year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so disappointed...I was REALLY inspired to do this after reading your post. I did it, and we only got to enjoy it for one afternoon before my directors made me take it apart. They said it was a fire hazard/ choking hazard. So...I'll be making it at home for my son! :) Still---awesome idea! The kids could NOT get enough of it for that one, joyous afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the great idea. =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Finally, got a box big enough to do this! My boys are loving it.

    http://www.prettylittlenest.com/2013/01/the-not-box-box.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...